- October 2014 – Present: Freelance Writer. Producing web content for higher education industry and animal welfare websites, and writing on a broad range of topics including animal welfare, pets, health, fitness, the environment, spirituality, holistic living, home and family, outdoor activities, and interior design for community magazines and newspapers.
- November 2014 – November 2016: Berkeley College, Web Content Assistant. Writing, editing, proofreading, and posting web content including online newsletters for the Office of Alumni Relations and the United States Distance Learning Association.
- 2006 – October 2014: Berkeley College, Media Relations Associate. Writing press releases, student and faculty profiles, news clips for college newsletter, advertorials on the college for local papers and magazines, and assisting with photo shoots at a variety of college events.
- 1997 – October 2004: Reporter, The Record, Hackensack (now in Woodland Park), NJ. Special area of expertise was writing on pet issues. Also pitched story ideas and wrote for weekly Get Set, Go, Home, Living, Education, and Religion and Values sections.
- 1995 – 1997: Editorial Assistant, The Record. Responsible for pitching and writing front page stories for Pet Page, Travel, Living, and Health sections. Also created and wrote Singles Travel column, and was responsible for writing a Trip Tip page in travel section. Researched and wrote summaries of best bets and good deals in travel, lodging, and dining.
- 1998 – 2015: Pet Columnist (201) Family magazine, a monthly publication circulated in Bergen and Passaic County, NJ, and in Rockland County, NY.
- 2009 – 2010: Contributing Editor to Bone-A-Fide Mutts magazine in New York City.
- 2008 – 2010: Contributing Editor to The Animal Companion magazine in NJ.
- 2001 – 2012: Wrote monthly town profiles for “Community Close-up,” a special section in The Parent Paper, North Jersey Media Group.
- 1999 – 2001: Wrote cover stories for Lifetime, NJ Cops, and Chiropractor Monthly magazines.
- 1998 – 2012: Contributing writer to Homescape and other special sections produced by the Advertising Department of The Record and Herald News, North Jersey Media Group, NJ.
- 1998- 2000: Wrote and edited weekly online stories on horses for PetPlanet.com. Worked as that site’s horse expert answering e-mail from readers on the care of horses.
- February 2015 – present: Assist in creating content and in the distribution of Shelter Tails, an online newsletter for the Humane Society of Walden, NY. Also coordinate the distribution of “Thank You” emails to adopters.
- 2010 – August 2014: Coordinator of the Pet Chow Pantry and Seniors for Seniors Foster programs at Pets Alive Animal Sanctuary in Middletown, NY.
- 2007 – 2010: Sunday morning shift supervisor, caring for the farm animals at Pets Alive Animal Sanctuary.
- 2000: Served on panel of judges asked to choose recipient of the Scott McVay Unity Award, an annual recognition given by the Animal Welfare Federation of New Jersey to a person who works hard to bring animal welfare people together.
- 2000: Wrote tip sheet for the Animal Welfare Federation of New Jersey on how to present pet and animal stories to the press. Tips were used at major conference and distributed to animal welfare groups throughout the state.
- 1998-2000: Volunteered on the Spay and Neuter Hotline for the Bergen County Animal Shelter in Bergen County, NJ.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS:
- Gold Award from the Parenting Publications of America
- Certificate of Merit from the Dog Writers Association of America
- Certificate of Excellence from the Cat Writers’ Association, Inc.
- Judges’ Pick Award from The Record newspaper
- B.A. in English with concentration in Journalism and Women’s Studies, Montclair State University
COMPUTER AND TECHNICAL EXPERIENCE:
- Basic HTML coding
- Microsoft Word
- Adobe Acrobat Pro
- Microsoft Excel
- Vocus and Meltwater distribution and marketing platforms
- Advanced web research skills