Hudson Valley, NY / 845-360-0516 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- October 2014 – Present: Freelance writer specializing in covering pet and animal welfare topics for online and print publications and websites. Blog about pets and animal welfare at onthepetbeat.com. More writing samples at veralawlor.com.
- May 2018 – Present: Part-time professional dog walker with The Traveling Leash.
- January 2017 – December 2019: Pet and animal welfare blogger on Care2.com.
- January 2000 – February 2019: Coordinated and wrote the Adopt-a-Pet feature for The Record, a daily newspaper in New Jersey and Northjersey.com. This involved collaboration with more than 15 animal shelters and rescue groups in Bergen and Passaic counties, NJ.
- 1998 – 2015: Pet Columnist (201) Family magazine, a monthly publication circulated in Bergen and Passaic County, NJ, and in Rockland County, NY.
- 2009 – 2010: Contributing writer to Bone-A-Fide Mutts magazine in New York City.
- 2008 – 2010: Contributing writer to The Animal Companion magazine in NJ.
- 2001 – 2012: Wrote monthly town profiles for “Community Close-up,” a special section in The Parent Paper, North Jersey Media Group.
- 1999 – 2001: Wrote cover stories for Lifetime, NJ Cops, and Chiropractor Monthly magazines.
- 1998 – 2012: Contributing writer to Homescape and other special sections produced by the Advertising Department of The Record and Herald News, North Jersey Media Group, NJ.
- 1998- 2000: Wrote and edited weekly online stories on horses for PetPlanet.com. Worked as that site’s horse expert answering e-mail from readers on the care of horses.
- November 2014 – November 2016: Berkeley College, Web Content Assistant. Writing, editing, proofreading and posting web content including online newsletters for the Office of Alumni Relations and the United States Distance Learning Association.
- October 2006 – October 2014: Berkeley Media Relations Associate. Writing press releases, student and faculty profiles, news clips for college newsletter, advertorials on the college for local papers and magazines, and assisting with photo shoots at a variety of college events.
- 1997 – October 2004: Reporter, The Record, Hackensack (now in Woodland Park), NJ. Special area of expertise was writing on pet issues. Also wrote for weekly Get Set, Go, Home, Living, Education, and Religion and Values sections.
- February 2015 – present: Write and design a monthly online newsletter for the Humane Society of Walden, NY.
- 2010 – August 2014: Coordinator of the Pet Chow Pantry and Seniors for Seniors Foster programs at Pets Alive Animal Sanctuary in Middletown, NY.
- 2007 – 2010: Sunday morning shift supervisor, caring for the farm animals at Pets Alive Animal Sanctuary.
- 1998-2000: Volunteered on the Spay and Neuter Hotline for the Bergen County Animal Shelter in Bergen County, NJ.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS:
- Gold Award from the Parenting Publications of America
- Certificate of Merit from the Dog Writers Association of America
- Certificate of Excellence from the Cat Writers’ Association, Inc.
- Judges’ Pick Award from The Record newspaper
- B.A. in English with concentration in Journalism and Women’s Studies, Montclair State University
COMPUTER AND TECHNICAL EXPERIENCE:
- Basic HTML coding
- Microsoft Word
- Adobe Acrobat Pro
- Microsoft Excel
- Vocus and Meltwater distribution and marketing platforms
- Advanced web research skills